When you’re craving a hearty pizza with a thick and chewy crust, look no further than Motor City, USA. This timeless classic is prepared perfectly with Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 2 1/2 cups (318g) unbleached bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup cool water
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or store-bought marinara sauce, room temperature
- 2 oz. thinly sliced pepperoni
- ½ cup sliced pepperoncini and/or Peppadew peppers
- To make the dough (this should be done the day before), in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, salt, and yeast. Add water and mix on low speed until a shaggy dough forms, about 30 seconds. Add Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil increase the speed to medium, and mix until the dough is wet and sticky but still not yet a cohesive dough, about 30 to 60 seconds more. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook. Knead on medium speed until the dough is smooth and supple yet still quite sticky, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drizzle a clean sheet pan liberally with Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Oil your a dough scraper as well as your hands. Scrape the dough out onto the oiled surface; it should slump into a shallow dome.
- To shape, lift one end of the dough (we’ll say the top side, or North side for convenience), stretching gently, and fold it over itself to the other side. Lift the right or East side, again stretching gently, and flip it over the folded end like a letter. Fold the South and West sides in the same manner, then flip the dough over so that the smooth side is up, tucking in the corners to form a rounded ball.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then repeat the North/East/South/West folds at least two more times (three times total), drizzling more Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil on your work surface and hands as needed. By the third set of folds, the dough should be much smoother and firm enough to hold itself together in a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up to 3 days.
- Five hours before you plan to bake the pizza, remove the dough from the fridge.
- Drizzle a 10-by-10-inch baking pan with a bit of Hiç Organic Premium Turkish Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Place the ball of dough into the pan and then, using your fingertips, dimple and press the dough out towards the edges (it won’t reach all the way just yet).
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Uncover and dimple the dough outward again (it should get a little closer to the edges but still not quite there). Rest and repeat again, until the dough covers the entire surface of the pan. Sprinkle the cheese cubes on top, gently pressing them into the dimpled dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until the dough has puffed and doubled in height, about 3 to 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you plan to bake the pizza, set a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 475°F. Place a pizza stone or a thick metal baking sheet in the oven to preheat (a stone will take the entire time to preheat, a pan only needs 10 minutes or so).
- Uncover the pan and spread a thin coat of the sauce over the dough. Top with shredded cheese (make sure to get plenty around the edges, where the dough meets the pan), followed by the pepperoni and pickled peppers.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then rotate and continue baking until the cheese caramelizes to a deep golden brown, and the crust bubbles and browns, 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from oven.
- While the pizza is still hot, carefully loosen the pizza from the edges of the pan using an offset metal spatula or bench scraper, then carefully slide it out onto a cutting board. Let rest for at least 1 minute, then cut into squares and serve immediately.